Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Week

Book day today, the kids bought a note home 2 weeks ago and were full of suggestions for costumes. The note actually said "Please don't stress about the costume or go to any great detail or cost. While there is a prize for the best dressed, it is truly in the spirit of good fun". Ha!!Cate was easily pleased, wanting a butterfly costume, something like this was the plan, instead we ended up with this. I drew the wings freehand then traced out 2 satin pieces and wadding inner, sewed right sides together and turned out, then fused coloured circles on the front and back and then used my BSR2 for an all over stipple, great practicing for me but it took forever!! Total cost $12-Oliver slightly harder, Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat, 100% my idea, I was given a huge box of this satin fabric, so bright just perfect for costumes but no good for dancing as it doesn't have any stretch. Pattern free from here, I cut the tunic out in pellum, sewed gold on one side (I wore my coat, with golden lining, bright colours shining, wonderful and new) and then sewed the stripes on the front, time consuming but fairly easy, I wanted to do some all over quilting but just ran out of time; total cost free; everything used from my stash! Jason Donovan as Joseph clip here And Stuart near impossible wanting to be in anything but a handmade costume, we settled for Anakin Sky Walker. I still feel bad he never got his sequined knight costume, next year!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you have done a great job! I love the butterfly, especially the antennae. I can visualise the sequins on the Anaken Skywalker outfit too. Maybe next year you might get more than a 2 week warning to make 3 book-week costumes.

Helen said...

Cate's costume is AWESOME Ad! Not going to show Grace the photos or she'll want one too. :)

Suz said...

They're all fabulous! My girls would love those butterfly wings. I bet they had a great day.

Cass said...

They all look great

Natalie said...

They all look fantastic! Our theme was safari this year, otherwise I'm sure he would've loved to have dressed up like Anakin too - he is addicted to anything Star Wars lately.

Austysmum said...

WOW on the butterfly wings - that's what I call dedication!