Sunday, April 11, 2010
Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt - finished!
I finished my Disappearing 9 Patch with a twist, the twist being I never rejoined them to become one big block! Sorry for the bad photos, the light was fading fast and my models were not helping. At our last house we had a great clothesline I could use to hang my quilts, here we have a tiny one on the wall, only good for a few beach towels so I have to rely on helpers.Fabric is Amy Butler Daisy Chain, I had 6 prints, half metre of each, ample fabric left over, as usual I cut to much. To make this quilt I followed the D9P tutorial here. In brief I sewed 9 patches together then cut down the centre, leaving me with 4 blocks. I have added a cream homespun sashing and then bound using the flower print with the most turquoise in it. I like the look of the blocks kept separate, I think it makes the fabric prints stand out more and it came together so quickly, a dedicated quilter could easily sew this from start to finish in a weekend. Each block is 8.5" square with a 3" sashing. Finished quilt 54" square. I pieced the backing using some left over blocks I cut too small and the matching cream homespun. I have quilted all over in a large stipple using 100% cotton, I went through 6 bobbin changes on the stippling alone, and one and a half spools of cream Guterman. Wadding is Matildas Own wool cotton blend, love how it washes. And I am happy to say, everything came from my stash entirely. Kipper gives it 4 paws up! This quilt is for my friend Tonian who recently celebrated her 30th Birthday, sorry it's a few weeks late.